Go ahead, leave a comment!!!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Half Marathon

So I did it!  I've completed my first half marathon.  I have a lot of positive and negative emotions about my first half.  I trained for my half for about two months.  The race was downhill so I set a goal of 3 hrs, but now looking back at my training a 3 hr finish was really pushing it.

I woke up the morning of the half marathon not feeling that great.  I felt the beginnings of a sinus infection coming on.  I woke up nauseous mainly because of the infection.  I really wasn't that nervous.  The thought of food just made me feel blah.  I threw a banana in my bag along w/ some extra hammer gels.  I started getting a little bit of an appetite once we got up to the race start so I ate a banana and one packet of hammer gel.

Once the race started, I was feeling pretty good until I hit mile 5.  I started gagging really bad.  I thought it was weird since this has never happened during any of my training runs.  I figured it was probably just drainage from my sinus infection.  I had it for 2 miles and then it relaxed a bit.  I started to get really sore by mile 8.  There were times I thought about calling my husband to have him come get me...lol!  When I hit mile 10, I just plan HURT, especially in my right foot.  I physically couldn't run after mile 11.  I was so disappointed, but I couldn't do it.  Plus I started gagging once again.  Stupid sinus infection!  Somewhere between mile 12-13 I started running again.

I was so glad to see that finish line!  For some reason, I just wanted to cry because I was finally there but I didn't.  My official time was  3:28:57.  Not even close to 3 hrs, but I'll take it!  To make myself feel better, there were 6 people behind me.

My thoughts during this race was I'm never running another half marathon!  Thats not true since I'm already signed up for one in May!  I'm sure it will be better since it won't be as bad as a downhill.  Those first 5 miles were the hardest!!!  Plus I have 6 months to train for the next one.

9 comments:

  1. You're going to rock Ogden!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you!!!! I'm so impressed that you did it! Congrats a million times over. You'll rock the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DID it! That is a great thing, no matter what the clock says.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O gosh! I never knew you had all those complications -- I thought something was up though since we got your message that you only had 3 miles left at 11:50 and then didn't get another text telling us that you one mile left around 12:30 -- I was thinking that something was wrong or that you were hurt because I KNOW you run faster than that. I'm so sorry about your experience. I didn't know you were feeling sick either.

    I was quite blessed that morning - I don't know why. But both Friday and Saturday I felt not nausea due to pregnancy whatsoever - I was VERY HUNGRY though. Sunday was tough - post-race and nausea back again...I was like mmm I wonder why it left! Today is a better day, but ya I think I pushed myself a little on Saturday morning, so my body was reacting to it.

    But hey girl, you DID AMAZING!!!! Ogden will be great and now you know what to expect (time-wise)... I thought the 11-12th mile felt soooo long - I was like "where is mile 12?!!" It was crazy! Then I saw 12 and then spectators and that got me through and then I saw Nate taking photos...haha I was like ok "smile and push it." haha

    I'm just glad that I got to do it with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know for me it is so hard not to compare your self to the people around you. I hope you at least give yourself credit for what you just accomplished. Finishing a 1/2 marathon slow or fast is still finishing a 1/2 marathon. You did awesome. Things will happen with every race to make it hard or easy. So be proud! (I should take a lesson from my own words.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did WONDERFUL!!!! I am just starting a walking routine and my first goal will be a 5K very soon. My dream is a half marathon. Keep up the great work girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so awesome! I will be running my first marathon in May. Lets hope Ogden treats us well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your half! Too bad you had sinus issues. That doesn't make it very much fun! But I'm sure Ogden will treat you well. It's a beautiful course. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i found you on complete running. you are on there list of blogs.

    ReplyDelete